Woodcliff Lake Swim & Dive Association
Welcome to the 2018 Woodcliff Lake Swim and Dive Association summer season! Our program provides children age 5-17 exposure to competitive swimming in a fun environment, while providing swim instruction and coaching. Please remember Swim Team is NOT swim lessons. Beginners MUST pass the Old Mill Pool swim test, however during practices & clinics the coaches will further develop swimmers abilities and knowledge of all strokes. Swimming has long been recognized as one of the best overall conditioning activities. This is a great way to have fun, exercise, and even prepare for other sports.
This Parents Guide describes our program for the season, including practice sessions, meets, and volunteer position descriptions.
Swim Practice will begin Monday, June 25th.
Please note: There will be no Practice or Meet on Wednesday, July 4th.
- 10 years and younger: Monday to Friday, 5:30pm – 6:30pm
- 11 years and older: Monday to Friday, 6:30pm – 7:40pm
- There will be no practice on days when Meets are scheduled.
The swimmer’s age by May 31st determines the practice group they should attend, and the age at swim meets.
Coaches recommend swimmers attend as many of the scheduled practices per week as possible to gain the most benefit from the program. Attendance will be taken at each practice.
If you have any questions, contact coaches before or after practices.
*Again for 2018– We will again be holding additional clinics on two Saturday mornings in June to further develop each swimmers strokes and knowledge. Clinics are included in the cost of registration and will be highly beneficial for swimmers of all ages. Please do your best to attend both clinics.
Lightning Detector & Warning System
One of the three lightning detection devices installed in Woodcliff Lake is located at the Old Mill Park. If a potential for lightning is detected within an 8 mile radius, a siren is activated for 30 seconds, and yellow strobe lights turn on and remain on for the duration of the potential danger. When the potential for lightning ends, an “all clear” siren is activated for 30 seconds and the yellow strobe light is turned off.
Swim Meet Participation
Parents are required to inform Head Coach of swimmer’s availability for each Swim Meet. Parents MUST update their swimmers availability via TEAM SNAP at least 72 hours BEFORE the upcoming Swim Meet. You must either confirm your swimmer’s participation in each swim meet or let the Coach know that your swimmer is not available to swim at the Meet. Either way – TEAM SNAP must be updated 72 hours in advance of the Meet Date to accommodate Planning Schedules. Please understand it is very difficult to make changes the day of the meet.
What to expect at Meets:
- Swimmers arrive at the meet location by 4:30pm.
- Coaches will inform all swimmers of their events, lane number and heat that they will swim in.
- Warm-ups start at 5:00pm and meets start promptly at 5:30pm.
- Swimmers are expected to wear their team suits and goggles.
- Caps are required for girls and for boys with long hair.
- The order of the events is the same for all the meets in the summer league. See Order of Events section.
- Meets last approximately three hours.
- Swimmers are expected to stay for the entire meet to support their team. If there is a problem, speak to the coaches.
- Swimmers are expected to stay within the team section during the meets. No wandering, swimming in other areas of the pool, visiting snack bar, etc.
- Changes anticipated due to inclement weather will be communicated via email messages. We make an effort to let parents know with reasonable advance notice, especially if we have an away meet. Please be sure to check your email.
- NJPMA Championship meet will be held the end of July – Early August. Swimmers entry is based on season performance.
We depend on parent volunteers to ensure a smooth running season. Without your support it is very difficult to run a smooth meet. It is a great way to support our swimmers and become part of the action! Each family is expected to volunteer for at least two meets as a condition of their child/children’s participation on the team. See Volunteer Positions section for details.
If parents so wish, they may “opt-out” of one or both volunteer commitments by paying $25 per meet, in addition to the registration fee. Parental “opt-out” fees will be used to hire college students to perform the multitude of roles necessary to ensure a smoothly run meet.
We will be using SignUpGenius (www.signupgenius.com) for meet parent volunteering. SignUpGenius makes signing up to volunteer much easier. There is no account required and you can sign up 24/7 from any device. Once you register your swimmer you will receive an email to select a meet date/volunteer position when you wish to help out! You will also receive an email reminder 2 days before the event. Any questions can be addressed at the PARENT MEETING on June 2nd. Please note, if there is a conflict on the day of the meet, parents are responsible to find their own replacements.
For Meets, swimmers need a team swim suit, team cap and goggles. Swimmers will be required to wear the Lakers team caps at meets. Boys with long hair will also be required to wear caps for practices. This will promote the development of good habits during practice which will then carry over to meets.
- Lakers team caps are $5 and will be available from Angela Maday during practices.
- The Team Swim Suit will be available for sizing & purchase at the June 27th SWIMSUIT FITTING Sale, 5-7 pm at the Old Mill Pool near the lap lanes. Metro Swim will fit all swimmers to the appropriate size team suit. They accept cash, check and credit cards.
- Googles are available locally at any sporting goods store.
All Meet participants will receive 1st, 2nd, 3rd and Honorable Mention ribbons in recognition of their results. All swimmers will receive a trophy/team medal for participating in the Lakers swim team program.
Team Party for Laker’s Swimmers!
Our end-of-season family team party will take place on Thursday, July 26th at 5pm -7pm @ the Old Mill Pool.
Rain Location: Tice’s Senior Center, Chestnut Ridge Road, WCL.
Please feel free to contact us with any questions:
Angela Maday, President firstname.lastname@example.org
Kelly Kosoff, Vice President email@example.com